Friday, March 28, 2008

Don't mind me...it's the jet lag talking


It’s 38 degrees and its snowing today.

Yes, snowing.

I took the bus to work this morning.

(Taking the bus means really that I took the bus and walked 25 minutes because it’s a better alternative, and faster, then having to take two busses because that takes me an hour to get to work, if not longer, and I am not a pleasant person after waiting for two different buses and hour commute for literally 6 miles of distance despite listening to my cool and/or relaxing music on my ipod).

Last week I was in 90 degree sunny weather in India wearing short sleeve shirts. Now here I am back in the Pacific Northwest wearing my raincoat and hoodie.

And I gotta say, it’s not just the weather that makes me feel like curling up in my bed and not going anywhere. It’s that in Seattle it is unpleasantly difficult to get anywhere. I’ve obviously already written many times of my loathing for drivers in this town that seem to think 30 mph means 20 mph. I’m sure everyone is tired of hearing about it (even I’m tired of hearing myself whine about it…)

But also, there’s the parking issue (what neighborhood in this town doesn’t complain about its lack of parking?) and there’s the alternative to driving, the mass transit.

Or should I say the utter and complete LACK of any useful mass transit.

Because the weather is really bad in NYC. It’s freezing in the winter and brutally unbearable in the summer. Yet, I was out and about a lot. And yes, the subway system isn’t perfect and yes, I was stranded on a subway platform many, many times.

But if I was on the train on the LIRR for an hour, I’d be at Jones beach. Which is a lot further than 6 miles away.

Maybe I'm just missing New York.

Maybe I’m just grumpy because of the jet lag.

Maybe it’s because its only Friday morning and I’m ready for the weekend.

Then again, maybe it’s the fact that here we are almost April and it’s SNOWING outside.

Yep. I think that’s it.

No comments: