Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Last Lecture

What if you had to give a last lecture?

What would you say to those you're leaving behind?

It's a profound question and not completely irrelevant to the ideas in 7 Minutes to Midnight, the show we're doing in the Fall.

Now, I know I haven't written much in the blog lately. My mind has been a bit crowded with a few other things…namely rewriting The Albatross, writing the next report for The Dramatist magazine, and working on this fall show.

Oh, and I just started taking a blues guitar class (which is going to be total fun and challenging).

I've gotten lazy and just started posting videos. But give me a break. It’s summer. And the weather in Seattle has actually given the impression that it IS actually summer (until July 4th, when the rains come, I’m sure) which only makes me want to sit outside sipping margaritas and pretending to be on the beach in Mexico.

So I promise to write some more here soon.

But for now, I’m going to get all sappy on you…

This video post from Youtube is for my mom, who first told me about Dr. Randy Paush, professor at Carnegie Mellon who gave the “last lecture”. She saw him on Oprah, which is where the clip is from.

All I can say is...Watch this video.

If it doesn’t move you in some way, you’ve got to be insane or simply ignorant. It will move you to tears, move you to laugh, move you to get off up your butt, move you to appreciate your loved ones, move to you follow your dreams...


These are some of the wonderful truths I'll take from this:

Have fun.
Never give up.
Follow your dreams.
Brick walls are there to show us how badly we want something.
People are more important than things.
Stop complaining, just work harder.
No one is pure evil—look for the good in others.


But my favorite piece of advice:

Be a Tigger, not an Eeyore.

I feel like we all should take a class called HOW TO LIVE 101...Wouldn't that be cool?

No comments: