Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rock on, Miss Piggy!



So this play of mine GREEN-EYED MONSTER, pictured here in the premiere in NYC at Brass Tacks Theater, has now taken on a new life in the character Suzy's monologue, which is published in the Audition Arsenal series. It is now being referred to as the "Miss Piggy" monologue.


When I was teaching my Making Monologues workshop at the KCACTF festival in Laramie, I used this monologue. It's funny, it's active, and it works for explaining some of the concepts of character, objective, tactics, and language, etc.

After the class a student came up to me and said, "My friend used that piece to audition for grad school in London. And she got in."

That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I told another teacher who knew about this student and she said, "Oh yeah, they loved that monologue".

Okay, so this monologue is entertaining and fun and funny. People like doing it. Like watching it. It's not Shakespeare. It's not Beckett. But it works and people like it.

And some talented woman got into grad school using words I wrote. Now, I know her talent got here there (and maybe her grades) but there are a lot of good monologues out there and she chose mine and it served her well. Indirectly, I helped her and that's so cool.

Reminds me why I write in the first place. No award, no money, no production fills me with that kind of fulfillment.

Speaking of awards, the OSCAR race is on! Who will win? Who will cry? Who will wear the bad outfits?

No comments: