Friday, February 15, 2008

Sex with Gods and Other Fun Stuff



I’m reading Peter Brook’s version of The Mahabharata right now.

I’ve read about the production, of course, as almost every theater student has, but have never actually sat down to read the full text (which is never as good as seeing the show, but that’s like a 9 hour commitment…).

It’s interesting, full of sex, violence, death, destruction, creation and love.

Why am I reading this piece now?

Well, I’m going to India next month for two weeks and so I’m trying to learn as much as possible about the people, culture and politics. While I'm there I'll be pretty busy with meetings but I hope to see at least at little of the culture, like the Kathakali or hear some music. Here's a picture of an actor, not from a kathakali show, but some other form of song/opera:



That is one big hat!

And speaking of big hats...I’ll be in Laramie, WY next week for the KC/ACTF Regional festival. Not quite as intense as India, but still…exotic in its own way…and cold. Very cold.

In other news…

It’s official! I will be teaching a Playwright/Director/Designer Theater lab called Working on a New Play at Bellevue Community College in the Spring quarter. I’m preparing for the class now and am very excited about the work we’ll be doing. If you’re interested, the class is Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.

No comments: