Sunday, January 16, 2011

Goodbye Great One

When this is all over, my writing will add up to the sum total of me. The choices I make with my writing have a lot to do with myself as an unfolding personality, so that in the end your writing is really your destiny. It’s a question of finding that central thing that’s yours to say and yours alone.
Most theater audiences will not know, or remember, the name of Romulus Linney.  Or you may only think of him as Lara Linney's dad.  


He was a member of Ensemble Studio Theater, and one of the principal reasons for my wanting to work there when I arrived in New York City many years ago.  (That and other playwrights like Horton Foote, Wendy Wasserstein, Shel Silverstein, John Guare, countless actors and even my acting teacher, Bill Esper.)


Perhaps he'll gain a little more fame and recognition now that he's gone.   I know that I feel like I've neglected this great writer and am only familiar with a few of his works (though Gint, Childe Byron and Holy Ghosts are amazing works).  


Time to head to the library and read a few of his plays.  

No comments: