Friday, January 7, 2011

A New Year, a New You?


All my life, I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific. -- Jane Wagner

I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions but as I get older (and the ticking clock of life seems to speed faster), I find myself reviewing my goals and expectations at the end of a year and making plans for the next year. 

I have to decide what projects to devote my time and attention.

I have no shortage of ideas (plays, screenplays, etc.) or projects to work on.  It’s a matter of deciding which story beckons and aches to be told immediately.

So what’s on the books for 2011?

I think it’s going to be an exciting year.  In a few months, a production of some of my favorite short plays will be produced in the Rogue Performance Festival in California.  I’m going to participate as a playwright in the Bricolage Urban Scrawl.  I’m also going to (hopefully) finish up some longer projects, like the solo show and the robot play, Approaching Eve.  Maybe I’ll sneak in a full-length screenplay, too…why not?

At the beginning of each year, it feels as if I’m constantly writing and rewriting my “artist statement”—the core of the work that I do, what sets me apart from other theater artists. 

Making art is about making choices and those choices are a result of your goals, dreams and plans. 

So what choices are you making this year? 

No comments: